Friday 21 September 2007

Upendra’s performance in Anatharu, a remake of the Tamil film Pithamagan, has fetched him tremendous appreciation


It’s the cozy lounge of the Jakkur aerodrome. Big 92.7, the new entrant in the air waves war is flying birthday boy Upendra who also happens to be their brand ambassador to his resort by chopper and I seem the only journo invited to fly with th em. Uppi arrives with RJs Kiran and Harsha and the excited winner of an SMS contest, Vidya who’ll also fly with us. She’s a bundle of excitement and nervousness.

Uppi looks haggard. “I haven’t slept at all with fans thronging my house since midnight,” says the star. That doesn’t stop him from patiently posing with each and everyone who wants a picture taken with him. “It’s amazing to watch him interact with his fans,” says Vidya who’s been with the star since morning. “Where will I be without them?” sighs the star in response.

You turn 39 today. Do you think you have achieved a lot or do you have a lot more to do?

I have a lot of things to achieve and do.

But ten years back did you imagine you would have done so much?

(sighs) Actually, I had planned a lot more. I think I’ve slowed down.

You are being praised for your performance in “Anatharu”. How long did you take to accept?

Oh, I took more than a month to say yes.

Why?

It’s a very complex character. You need a lot of dedication. I could not sign any other project till it was completed. Since two big heroes were involved, matching dates was a problem. I was apprehensive about audience response. Well-wishers goaded me and gave me the confidence.

Were you also concerned that the character is contrary to your image?

No, I like that. I don’t believe in an image. I was fascinated by the character.

The getup was a little like the one in “Raktha Kanneer” but the lack of dialogues probably made it difficult.

You are right. I was a bit nervous in the beginning but settled down as I got used to the getup.

Did you think of interpreting the role differently?

No. My expressions are a little different, but I loved Vikram’s body language and tried doing it the same way.

Like other heroes you too are building your body, but have stopped exercising your brains..

(Laughs) That’s because I’m a hero now. I know what you are getting at. I hope to start my directorial venture in 2008. When you want to direct you have to dedicate one year for a film. I cannot be acting in someone’s film while directing my own venture. I also have to be very sure about my product.

Is it also because acting is easier? You don’t have to take the blame for a bad product.

(Laughs) Not really. Yes, it’s easier in a way. Even when I’m acting I imagine how I would have executed the shot. My next directorial venture has to be something extraordinary, technically and narration wise.

To start a venture you have to first stop giving dates as a hero.

That’s right. I’m committed till December. I’m very eager to start from January 2008. I just hope I don’t get an exciting role as a hero to tempt me. It’ll take something as good as “Anatharu” to tempt me.

Have you zeroed in on what your next film will be about?

I have but to develop that I have to go away to a secluded place for about a month. There should be absolutely no disturbance. I like to left alone and lose track of the place and time when I’m writing.

What is the feedback for your performance in “Anatharu”?

It’s fantastic. They have liked the film and also my performance. It’s creating records in places like Hubli and Davangere. They have increased the number of shows in a day.

So it doesn’t look like you will direct in the near future.

(Laughs loudly) I’ve met some 10,000 fans today and most of them want me to direct and I will. It’ll come as a surprise. The pressure is mounting and the expectations are frightening.

Are directors wary of the fact that you are a director too?

Not really. My suggestions are only during the time of narration. I know that every director has his own vision.

Is it because of the safety factor that you are doing a lot of remakes?

That is a factor yes, because you know it’s a proven product.

Most directors are not able to do what they narrate. The problem with Kannada cinema is that there is lack of good story writers and directors. Most directors come armed with a DVD.

That’s because talented directors are donning grease paint.

(Laughs) Actually I can direct even when I’m 80 years old. How long can I act? There are a lot many reasons for my acting.

Tell us one.

You will find out as time goes by.

Any birthday resolutions?

I’m going to be very careful in selecting films. I’ve done films for emotional reasons too.

Today, I’ve decided not to take any chances. I can suggest anything till I agree to do a film but once I sign on the dotted line I’m a servant. I think that’s fair because it is somebody’s money at stake. I’m going to be very careful and a little cold in saying no.