Tuesday 16 October 2007

Backbiting aplenty : LITTLE CHEETAH The Telugu film Chiruta does not live up to its title

Ganesh is on a roll. “Cheluvina Chittaara” is a massive hit and still going strong. In fact it’s the biggest success after “Mungaru Maley” and “Duniya”. His “Hudugata” did not do well but the prod ucers let it run in theatres just to give the impression that it was a success too.

The 100th day function of “Cheluvina Chittaara” was celebrated on a massive scale, befitting its success but a discordant note was struck when the director, S. Narayan took veiled swipes at actor Vijay who stars in his next film “Chanda”. Narayan accused the star (without naming him) of indiscipline and getting too big for his boots. . The film is now complete and ready for release but Narayan has got the dubbing done by someone else. “That man surprises me,” says Vijay. “He was all praise for my behaviour and discipline just last week in a Kannada weekly and suddenly I’m the villain. I was good till I refused to dub till ‘Yuga’ was complete. In fact I had told him that I would start ‘Chanda’ only after ‘Yuga’ was complete but Narayan coaxed me, promising me that his film would be released only after ‘Yuga’ had completed 50 days. I accepted only because he was a senior and was sure he would keep his word. Please ask the unit if I ever arrived late for shooting,” says a hurt Vijay. Ultimately the result of such spats is that it affects the product adversely. One hopes that doesn’t happen to “Chanda”. What about the Rockline production he’s supposed to do with Ramya and to be directed by Narayan?

“I have given the dates to Rockline Venkatesh but if the director is Narayan they can count me out,” says the defiant youngster.

*** Another star son rises. This time it’s superstar Chiranjeevi’s son Ram Charan. The film is “Chiruta”, directed by Telugu cinema’s blue eyed boy, Puri Jagannath.

The film does not live up to its title. It doesn’t move swiftly at all. The director is obviously weighed down by all the expectations and tries to pack in too many gimmicks. The plot is over-stuffed with popular ingredients but fails to hold your interest. Ram Charan has taken after his dad in the fights and dance department. He lacks his father’s charm but has a casual acting style that’s endearing. The film is not doing too well and should be a lesson to the youngster about the importance of a plausible plot.

*** Dev (the saab makes him sound old) writing his autobiography? I thought only retired people did that and Dev has a long way to go.

Bangalore is one of his favourite cities and the trip here must have been nostalgic. I interviewed him more than a quarter of a century ago when he was shooting at Bangalore Palace.

His restlessness left me dumbstruck. He’s a blur of activity — and this when he was running high temperature. I was floored when he wanted a Polaroid picture taken with me.

He’s the only star who wrote down his address and insisted I visit him whenever I was in Bombay. He may not have directed many classics, but his self belief and noble intentions are unquestionable.

I can’t wait to read his colourful memoirs and can assure you of a sequel a few decades from now.



S. SHIVA KUMAR
sshivu@yahoo.com