Friday 7 December 2007

Will it hit the skies? : Still soaking in the success of Mungaaru Maley, Yograj Bhatt is all set to release Gaali Pata


I just finished editing the film and thought I’ll give you a call,” said Yograj Bhat from Chennai, with a sense of relief, anxiety and excitement. Exactly one year ago he must have felt the same because his “Mungaaru Maley” was due for release. Even the most sought after soothsayer would not have predicted the kind of success the film has enjoyed. It was not a path-breaking film by any standards but there was simplicity in the narration that struck a chord. The songs are still being hummed and emanate from every other cell phone. The cast and crew are still basking in the glory. Many directors who give mega successes are scared to move on to their next venture, thanks to the overwhelming expectations but not Yograj. Just as “MM” completes a record one year run in the multiplexes as well as regular theaters “Gaali Pata” is nearing completion. “The film is a visual treat. Ratnavelu is at the peak of his aesthetic and creative powers,” says Yograj.

There are computer graphics since a wild boar plays a major part in the film. Yograj is off to Mysore and its surroundings to shoot a song that involves a horde of Yakshagana dancers. “I have shown a rough cut to people close to me and they are excited,” says the delighted director. I wonder aloud if he’s cultivated a claque. “Oh no they are the kind of friends who are brutally frank,” says Bhat. “I think if I had made this film before ‘MM’ it would have done as well if not better than that.” Let’s hope “Gaali Pata” meets the expectations of fans and results in a rain of big bucks at the box-office.

Dhanush is delighted but as usual his voice doesn’t change. He’s like Kamal Hassan. Expressionless and affable to the extent of sounding inaudible, making you wonder about his performing abilities. But his performance in “Polladhavan” is to be seen to be believed. He’s brilliant in the light scenes as well as those that demand intensity. His dialogue delivery has improved by leaps and bounds. “I told you it’s easy to make a successful film,” says Dhanush not out of arrogance but with confidence in his abilities . I tell him I’m not entirely convinced, though I can’t argue with success. “Believe me, my next film ‘Yaradi Nee Mohini’ will be a minimum guarantee film,” says the star. The svelte Nayantara is his co-star.

“Polladhavan” is taut even though it’s just another take on an innocent being sucked into the cesspool of crime. The atmosphere is authentic and performances realistic. Some of the songs are badly placed. “I know, but they are a necessary evil when you go beyond the city,” says Dhanush. I ask him about the director Vetri Maran. “He’s Balu Mahendra’s assistant and I’ll be working with him again next year.” Shouldn’t he keep away from films about rowdyism, “I agree. This film will be totally different. I cannot tell you anything now but you’ll be surprised,” says the confident star. He’s also doing a film with Ram, another Balu protégé who directed the intensely internalised film, ‘Katradhu Tamizh’. “I think our collaboration will work. He’s gifted but has to be told where he went wrong,” says Dhanush, sounding smug but believe me his head is firmly on his frail shoulders.

sshivu@yahoo.com

S. SHIVA KUMAR